Knit 2 Par 3

Monday, December 18, 2006

Just A Round of 9 Holes Vest

So much to say about this recently finished piece, a birthday gift for Brendan.

A vest is nine holes of golf. No sleeves, because the tediousness of sleeves is the same feeling you get from holes 11 - 16: really long fairways and lots of counting. With a cardigan vest, you get to the Glory Hole of armhole, v-neck and shoulder shaping decreases almost when you think you should just turn in your cart and get a hot dog.

I used Noro Kureyon #XX with lots of greens and browns, like a nicely landscaped course. The little buttons look like sticks of wood - I had a chance to say that I made them myself, but since I live in the city I would be hard pressed to say where I got such nicely shaped twigs. You should always use Noro when you want to knit about the great outdoors.



And like golf - knitting is easy, knitting is hard. The pattern looks easy, but it really required a lot more attention than I thought. Here it is up close:




Iit's called Woven Stitch and it goes like this: Row 1 Purl; Row 2 K1, slip next stitch with yarn in front like you are going to purl. Repeat both rows for pattern. The pattern for the vest itself is from the absolutely perfect The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd.

Since I did it all in one piece you would think it was just whack, whack whack the ball all the way through. There is a lot of putting in this vest: finishing is the putting of knitting. There is even a sand trap in knitting - button holes. But I'm the Tiger Woods of button holes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home