Knit 2 Par 3

Monday, March 05, 2007

Strickarbeit

I seem to have recovered enough from the jet lag caused by our vacation to this yarn store in Berlin last week.

First, the vacation was great. If you want to read a whole lot more about it, you can check out our overachieving- family travel blog here.

But of course you want to know about the knintting scene and I'm telling you: send your widows and orphans to a needy German knitter. Don't go to Berlin for the yarn. Or the golf, for that matter! I did have a pleasant visit to Fadeninsel, which unfortunately translates to "String Island". Lots and lots of acrylic in bright colors for about $1 a skein, which I will confess to you that I purchased, since I wasn't sure I would find a better score during my trip and frankly, dope is dope, right?


Surprisingly, I could only discover one other yarn store in the city, at the supercalifragilisticexpialadocious KaDeWe Department Store. They had an entire little annex with arts and crafts supplies, fabric and sewing notions and this wall of - you guessed it, largely acrylic - yarn:


Imagine a whole country where they just aren't into knitting! It forced me to fill my days in other ways so here are some things I discovered:

  • Berlin's answer to MaryKate and Ashley.
  • Curry wurst.
  • Exquisa - thought it was yogurt, but it is actually cake frosting, and I served it to my family every day for breakfast until a helpful shop keeper gave me the 411.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home