Knit 2 Par 3

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Home Again Home Again

Well, we are really and truly back from vacation. The drive back from Maine allowed us to wallow in 6 uninterrupted hours of classic rock/70's disco on the radio, highlighted by a death defying air guitar rendition of Foxy Lady by the driver. The fun was a little subdued by the plaintive bleating voices of the teens in the back seat, asking why do we have to listen to this crap and how come you know all the words to a song like that?

I really did a lot of knitting these last two weeks, but only on one project: the constant reworking of some kind of sweater for me using the Taiyo yarn I bought in the spring. This summbitch is in its third reincarnation: it started out as a Minimalist Cardigan, and that just looked bad on me. The second go round I tried Mr. Greenjeans, but I neglected to swatch. Need I say more? Now it's a cardigan based on this cute thing, and although I am working from a picture and no pattern, and using an entirely different stitch, I think I nailed it this time.

My one very favorite thing to do in Maine is to take a little walk with Emily and recite Lewis Carroll's The Walrus and the Carpenter. This unfortunate tale has left me unable to eat oysters, largely because I always think of this line when I see them on a menu: "but four young oysters hurried up, all eager for the treat/their clothes were brushed, their faces washed/ their shoes were clean and neat/ And this was odd, because you know/they don't have any feet".

I couldn't drag Em out of bed earlier enough for a walk and a poem, and I didn't get a chance to do it during this vacation. But I'm going to do it now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paper Tiger said...

This is the part I always remember...

And thick and fast they came at last,
And more, and more, and more--
All hopping through the frothy waves,
And scrambling to the shore.

9/04/2008 02:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home