Knit 2 Par 3

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Dissed!


A woman walks into a yarn store in the Big City on the day after Christmas and picks out four different and shiny new skeins of Noro Kureyon. As she pockets the change for the shekels given to her by her mom for the express purpose of buying more Noro for Christmas, she tells the grim and unfriendly shop keeper that she is going right home to cast on a Noro striped scarf.

Imagine her surprise when the shop keeper laughs in her face and cackles: "You and a million other uncreative people!" And her minion, a wizened toady wearing a fleece jacket in a yarn store, seconded: "that's the dullest pattern ever written!"

I wish I could say that I had the dignity to give back the yarn and ask for my money back but I did not. I really wanted that Noro and didn't have enough time to head uptown to the other unfriendly yarn store that stocks Noro. I'm pretty amazed that they just didn't wish me a Happy New Year and laugh at me when I left the store (like I would have). Because Noro or not, I am not coming back.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Sorry that they were like that - how stupid! Hope you are enjoying the scarf...

12/28/2008 08:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beyond stupid, but all too common. I don't know where you were, but the following places in Manhattan stock Noro: Seaport Yarns, Downtown Yarns, the Point, and Yarntopia. I think Annie's also carries Noro, but I've never been there. I was in Yarntopia last week and the woman there was very nice. They were very well-stocked, too. I'm always disappointed and utterly bewildered when people who own or work in yarn shops are rude. I have to say that I've never had a bad experience at Downtown Yarns, Knitty City, the Point or Yarntopia.

12/28/2008 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger yardsailor said...

I am always so mad at myself when I just take the rudeness in a specialty shop, complete the purchase and walk away. Then spend all night ruminating about what I should have said and done! After reading of your experience, I am making a promise to myself that if I am not greeted warmly when I go into a strange/new yarn shop I will just turn on my hand knit sock heel and go elsewhere. Knitters unite against rude shop people, remember they need us more than we need them.

12/30/2008 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger Paper Tiger said...

The mind boggles.

I managed to make one that I didn't like much, but my carpool buddy liked it a lot, so I gave it to her in a fit of paying-it-forward.

1/01/2009 08:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home