Knit 2 Par 3

Monday, December 01, 2008

The Way, Way Back Machine

Not only did I spend a few hours lost in nostalgia for the unremembered 80's this weekend, I took a spin in the Way Back Machine to the 70's - I attended my 30th High School Reunion.

I hadn't attended any of the previous 29 reunions and I wasn't sure what to expect. Would the cheerleaders still be show-offs? (Yes). Would the good looking boys still be good looking? (Time has not been kind to the men). Would the dorky kids still be the most fun? You betcha!

I am curious about people, and I had a lot of opportunity to ask a lot of people a lot of questions while they sucked down martinis. I asked the usual (are you part of a couple? Have kids? Livelihood?) and also what kind of passions and interests they had pursued. When I got a heartfelt answer to the question, I found a woman who had worked in a marketing office by day and was a telephone medical intuitive by night and a man who left his high paying job to become a zydeco clog dancer.

After asking me about my wild youth, people were pretty surprised at how conventional I turned out to be after all, what with the knitting and the golfing and the gray hair and the eyeglasses with the rhinestone sparkles. And I guess I was surprised too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home