Knit 2 Par 3

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Are They Made Out of Money?

Yes! That is what those Madoff mittens were made from. Money. So I decided to make a pair for myself.



It took a few tries, and a few bucks, to figure out how one actually knits with money. As a fiber, money is essentially a carry-along to another yarn. I used cashmere for my base yarn, though: it only seemed right.

As much as I love my Denise Interchangeable Needles, the tool you need for this project is a finger-amputatingly sharp X-acto knife. You can use your needle gauge as a straight edge to cut one-eighth inch strips of money. But please make sure you do this in the privacy of your own home, with the shades down, and the children out of the house. The penalty for defacing money is severe, and you don't want to take a family member down with you.

Because no one wants to waste cashmere, I recommend swatching first. My gauge here was 4 stitches and seven rows per inch, on size five needles.

Using my excellent knitter math skills, I figure it takes 64 dollar bills per mitten. That's $128 per pair, plus two skeins of cashmere totalling $72, for a total of $200.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, they shred money when it gets old and I've seen it for sale. In fact my mom has a baggie of some. If you spin, you could spin some money yarn pluckyfluff style.

This is cool but EXPENSIVE!!!!!

1/15/2009 08:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think, as one who also sews, that stitching the bills into bias tubes & cutting one long strip would make knitting then easier.
as a (not very good) spinner, i'd try cutting them the short way & plying into a yarn. one could use fewer bills that way.

1/16/2009 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL! This is great. I dont know if I could ever bring myself to actually do this but it's great. Perhaps if you ever decide to counterfeit money and then shred the evidence...oh but then you'd not only get busted for defacing money but counterfeiting as well.

1/16/2009 03:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Clarice said...

No reason why you couldn't do a doublesided photocopy of dollar bills. Would be a whole lot cheaper... xD

4/05/2009 03:51:00 AM  
Blogger ChemKnits said...

At the treasury in DC you can buy "a million dollars" of shredded 100 dollar bills. Well, maybe I do not have the total $$ correct, but I remember thinking of getting it on my 8th grade trip over a decade ago...

but Clarice, you cannot photocopy dollar bills, that is also against the law. I'd vote for monopoly money.

11/05/2009 12:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home