Knit 2 Par 3

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Retail, Then and Now

When I was at school, not only was there no Internet, there were hardly any yarn stores. My only source of yarn was the C. H. Martin's on George Street, which stocked a decent selection of Red Heart acrylic and Boye Needles. The yarn was displayed directly across from the lunch counter and so most of my projects smelled like hot dogs.

There was (and is) a farm school at Rutgers, but no one there was doing anything crafty with the sheep they raised there. They did have a cow, though, with a glass panel in her side that showed how cow stomach worked.

Let's not think about that anymore, and take a minute to look at some knitting. Here is the Foliage pattern from Knitty stretched out all over Emily's big New Jersey hair.


I am not much of a lace knitter and you can see where I goofed up a little, but this pattern is quite fun and super quick. I knitted it with Decadent Fiber's Creme Brulee that I got at Sheep and Wool this year. This yarn is a pretty good buy but unfortunately, it looked better on the skein then knitted up: the colors puddle together in kind of a bland mash. I wouldn't buy it again even though it feels nice,

While I still couldn't find a yarn store in New Brunswick, I was surprised to find about 8 tattoo parlors in a 10 block radius on our walk. Can people really be buying more tattoos than yarn? I don't have a tattoo, but I want one. I want a knitting tattoo, like this one:


If you've been sucked into the Ravelry vortex, check out the Tattooed group for many exciting ideas. Like you need some excuse to waste more of your time there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first time my folks were driving me down to school, we passed the Cook College campus sign. The second "o" had been selectively vandalized, leading me to think of it forever as Cock College. You know, for all the roosters they keep there.

11/15/2007 12:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute hat!

11/15/2007 05:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home