Knit 2 Par 3

Monday, April 06, 2009

Knitting Liberation

Over the past year or so, many of the gals in the knitting group have migrated from dpns to The Magic Loop technique for making socks. I was just about ready to give up on any sock project that required smaller than a size 5 needle because I kept poking myself with both ends of the double points when I had to bring the work up real close to my middle aged eyes.

What a drag it is getting old, said a very old man.

I resisted moving to the magic loop mostly because "Magic Loop" sounds like a brand name for an IUD. I imagined myself saying to Alison (highly skilled with magic loopiness) one night at knitting: "So, Alison, for health reasons I think I'd like to try the magic loop, but I am worried that it will kill my sock buzz before I get used to it".

I imagine then that Alison, a practical and direct kind of woman, would say: "It's important to take charge of your knitting health! And in the spirit of knitters doing it for themselves, I can teach you or you can go to this website and learn how."

Since it was later in the evening when I imagined all this, Iwent right to that website and with relatively little effort taught myself magic loop, and I am never going back. If you think you are too much of a spaz for this technique, I urge you to give it a try and you will be delighted and liberated from the tyrany of the little sticks.

Okay about the picture: I was looking for something that might seem like two women talking about the Miracle of the Magic Loop, and I came across this one.

I don't know what the one with the machine in her hand is doing. And I will not find out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you have come over to our side! I learned to knit socks on 2 circs (Bordhi style) but then taught myself ML because I was too cheap to buy 2 circs in all the sizes I needed (read:wanted). I was doing a particularly hard pattern once that was written for dpns and thought that I might ought to do it as written. Well, after poking myself and my poor cat (who likes to sit in my lap) too many times, I realized that I could have done it on ML and promptly ripped it out and started over. DOWN WITH DPNS!!

4/07/2009 07:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Good for you learning magic loop - I tried it but I still like my DPNs....but I do think ML would be really convenient for travel - no pulling out needles by accident!

4/07/2009 08:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home