Knit 2 Par 3

Monday, February 02, 2009

Silent, But Deadly, Fun

I can't get behind the hoopla about a rodent predicting the weather, but I did remember that today was Silent Poetry Day. I entertained myself on the trip home from work by thinking this bit of favorite poem in my head, and I can't guarantee that my lips weren't moving a little as I thunk it: (From The Hunting of The Snark by Lewis Carroll)


"There was one who was famed for the number of things
He forgot when he entered the ship:
His umbrella, his watch, all his jewels and rings,
And the clothes he had bought for the trip.

He had forty-two boxes, all carefully packed,
With his name painted clearly on each:
But, since he omitted to mention the fact,
They were all left behind on the beach.

The loss of his clothes hardly mattered, because
He had seven coats on when he came,
With three pairs of boots--but the worst of it was,
He had wholly forgotten his name.

He would answer to "Hi!" or to any loud cry,
Such as "Fry me!" or "Fritter my wig!"
To "What-you-may-call-um!" or "What-was-his-name!"
But especially "Thing-um-a-jig!"

While, for those who preferred a more forcible word,
He had different names from these:
His intimate friends called him "Candle-ends,"
And his enemies "Toasted-cheese."

"His form in ungainly--his intellect small--"
(So the Bellman would often remark)
"But his courage is perfect! And that, after all,
Is the thing that one needs with a Snark."'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home