Knit 2 Par 3

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Pilgrim's Progress

Early on in the vacation, we made a pilgrimage to the Seaport Yarn store in Portland.

For those of you who have been to the NYC store, you know better than to bring a non-knitter, or someone claustrophobic, and you make sure you eat before you go because you are going to be in there for a while, and you know to bring cash because they don't take cards, and most important of all bring your own bag or else you will end up with some crappy Shop Rite bag with a six inch rip in it to cart your stuff home.

We stopped at Becky's Diner for some fortifying fried fish sammiches first. Not sure if it was the Maine-ly hungry problem we have on vacation influencing our taste buds, but this a Hall of Fame Fish Sandwich, yes indeed.

Seaport Yarns in Portland is the Internet distribution center for the store in NYC. It's waaaayyy down on Fore Street, just past the point where your husband asks if you are out of your freakin mind because there are no stores down here just that weird Red Weenie processing plant and boom, there you are. This place has parking spaces allocated somewhere, but we really couldn't find them, so we just abandoned the car near the front door.

I asked Emily to wait outside with John since I really couldn't justify subjecting him to the madness I know to be the NYC store. Imagine my surprise when I walked into this air conditioned monument to neatness:




They didn't have quite everything they stock in NYC and nothing handspun or unique, but I was quite pleased with the selection. The woman who was working there was very charming, and knew her stock and didn't make me feel like she was doing me a favor by letting me spend money in her store.

I bought some Lambs Pride for a project (which is already at FO status and will be unveiled at a later date) and this nice sock yarn with which I knit a quick pair of socks from a Knitty pattern.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paper Tiger said...

Hey, I was about 3 blocks away from there last week!! It's a very artsy up-and-coming neighborhood. Apparently like Hoboken was 10 years ago! Good thing I didn't know there was a yarn store.

9/13/2007 12:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home