Knit 2 Par 3

Monday, April 13, 2009

The Right Tools for the Job

I took some extra time at lunch on the one sunny day we had last week to pay a visit to Knitty City. Pretty Pretty Knitty City! I think this place is a tie with Knitting Nation for best color sense, but I don't think you can beat the friendly vibe anywhere.

They were so friendly that while I went in with a mind to purchase a pair of needles, I came out with the needles and yarn yarn yarn. Most of it I hid in my yarn-lined fall out shelter but I had them wind up some of that new Cascade Sock yarn and casted on Climbing Lace Socks (Rav Link) right on the traffic median by 72nd and Broadway, a place that is best known as the junkie hangout in the movie Panic in Needle Park:



I was sort of in a panic, being late for a meeting uptown, but there's no stopping the urge to cast on.

I had purchased a pair of Hiya! Hiya! needles because really, who could resist needles with that name? They are a very lightweight aluminum with a good flexible cord and super pointy ends. I'd say they are about half the weight of Addi-Turbos and a good small gauge alternative for Denise Needle fans. Mine cost $8.50, making them about half the price of Addis too. I had long wanted to make those Climbing branch socks but I was undone every time by those size 1 dpns.

On the golf side, I spent a whole lotta time looking for the Hello Kitty putter I saw here. If those Hiyas helped with my socks life, imagine what this could do for my game?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought of you several times this past weekend while I was knitting and watching the Masters. I kept looking for a post about your Master's weekend.

My sister-in-law lives just around the corner from Knitty City! Very nice store.

HH are my new favorite needles. For one, I can't bend them. Yes, I bend sock needles. I know...relax.

4/14/2009 07:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Sounds likea great yarn store - I'll have to check it out sometime!

The socks are great - gorgeous yarn, and very pretty pattern! Have fun with them!

4/18/2009 08:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home