Knit 2 Par 3

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Men Are People Too

Being married almost 20 years now, it's been a long time since I've had to think too much about What Men Want. I've figured out most of what I need to know, but I have been sorely deficient for a long time in figuring out what men want from knitting and now thanks to Debbie Stoller's new book Son of Stitch 'n Bitch, I know.

The introduction to the book reads like a good relationship article in the Glamour magazine of my 1980's youth but geared towards a better relationship between a guy and your knits. For example:

  • we all know the best way to a man's heart is to somehow get the word "naked" into your message. Stoller suggests yarns that feel better next to skin will be worn more frequently. How smart is that?
  • in addition, garments made from superwash that your guy can put into the washing machine by hisself is better than stuff that you will have to hand wash when you see it in a pile on the floor.
  • The shocking revelation that grey, blue and black are colors.

And my total favorite,the admonition that a man is "not a dog you can dress in whatever you think will make him look cute".

Really, I think you should buy this book. I've Ravel'ed nine of the projects already this morning, and I only know three guys for whom I would knit anything. There are some nice patterns by internet favs Adrian Bizilia and Jared Flood, and the technique section is expanded to include Double Knitting, knitting gloves on 2 circulars, intarsia for socks and most importantly, knitting at work under your desk.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, you sold me. Luckily my LYS ordered it today so I should have it after the first of the year. Can't wait!

12/20/2007 06:45:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the 45 adapter fair isle.

12/21/2007 10:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home